Some people just have a stronger odor in their menstrual flow (and also one’s sense of smell is better during your period.)
Here’s few tips to remove the smell:
- Rubbing Alcohol. Wipe thoroughly or soak your menstrual cup for an hour with rubbing alcohol. (Soaking in hydrogen peroxide 3% will freshen it too.) Pro tip: You can also use a toothpick soaked in rubbing alcohol to clean out your menstrual cup holes. Allow your cup to air dry in the sun completely before use.
- Lemon Juice. Soak your menstrual cup for an hour, or wipe down with lemon juice. Be sure to boil your menstrual cup for a few minutes to get rid of any lemon juice residue before use!
- Spirit Vinegar. Make a solution of half water and half vinegar and soak your menstrual cup for an hour.
- Cleansing wipes, specifically for menstrual cups. The Lunette CupWipes are a great, easy option for sanitizing your Lunette menstrual cup when you don’t have a chance to rinse it with water. The wipes are individually wrapped and fit conveniently in your purse or pocket. You can use your Lunette menstrual cup anywhere you go – at the gym, office or even camping!
- Lunette Menstrual cup Cleanser. The Lunette Feelbetter Liquid Wash is designed for washing a silicone cup. But you can also use some other liquid soap that is fragrance-free, oil-free and has a mild to acidic pH (between 3,5 and 5,5). Just be sure it does not contain oils, since they can stick to the cup and create a film that could irritate the body.
Pro tip: Rinse the cup always with cold water at first. This prevents smell and discoloring!